Saturday 30 March 2013

Slow Cooked Beef Adobo

I was flicking through my slow-cooker recipe books for some inspiration last week when I came across this.  Its a bit like a rich beef Asian stew...it is apparently eaten in the Philippines but also popular in Spain.  It was a nice change, and one I'd make again.



Ingredients
750g braising steak, cubed
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp plain flour
450ml beef stock (I used vegetable stock as I'd run out)
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 bay leaves
Juice of half a lime

Method
Brown the beef in a frying pan, remove & set aside.  

Add the onion to the pan and fry for around 5 mins (you don't want it to brown).  Add the garlic and cook for 2 mins more.  Stir in the flour then gradually add the stock.  Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and bay leaves and bring to the boil.

Transfer the beef to the slow cooker and pour over the onion & stock mixture.  Cover and cook for 8-10 hours.

Before serving, stir in the juice from half a lime.  

I served the beef with rice, and a garnish of spring onion, sliced carrot and coriander leaves.

1 comment:

additional hints said...

interesting.. i like the photograph so much :)