Friday 1 February 2013

Tutu

Since I took DD to her first ballet class a few weeks ago, she has decided she wants to be a ballerina.  That, naturally, requires a tutu.  So I set to work...after DD informed me that she wanted one in "pink, blue AND purple".  Right then.


I found this easy tutorial at The Ribbon Retreat, and after ordering some tulle in the decided colours, I sat down on Wednesday evening and made this in 40 mins...from start to finish!  

You'll need some elastic for the waistband - I measured mine around DD's waist then made it a bit smaller, as I figured she'll be pulling it on and off and it will get stretched over time.  Sew the ends of the elastic together to make a band...then you can put the needle & cotton away!

Next, you need to cut lengths of tulle to tie onto the band - again, I got DD to hold the band on her waist and measured a strip to her knee, looped over the band (i.e. double that length).   I then cut a few lengths at a time, and cut more as I went along.


Its easiest if you have something to hold the elastic in place so I used this little chair.  Loop the tulle over the elastic and tie a knot one way, and then the other way.


I used two pieces of tulle at once, to get the colour effect, varying the colour combinations as I went round - pink & purple, blue & purple, pink & blue then repeated.  Carry on tying on the lengths as you move round the band.


You may need to shift the knots round at the end so don't tie them too tight!


DD was delighted when I showed her the next morning - here she is prancing round the house in it the next day...


...and the following day, wearing it again to go shopping...why wouldn't you wear a tutu to pick up your groceries if you could?!






1 comment:

maggy, red ted art said...

Gorgeous choice of colours!! Love it!