Wednesday 13 June 2012

Macaroons




This is a ridiculously easy recipe that I got from my lovely step-mum.  I just made these tonight but beware...you will NOT be able to stop eating them once you start!  DS had 3 in one go ;o)

Ingredients
115g ground almonds
170g caster sugar
1 tsp plain flour (yes, that is only ONE TEASPOON!)
2 egg whites
2 drops vanilla essence (or if your 3 year old is helping, a good slug!)
16 split almonds halves (I used flaked almonds instead)

Method
Heat the oven to 180 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with baking paper (or rice paper if you can find it).

Mix together the almonds, sugar and flour.  Add the egg whites and vanilla and beat well.

Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the baking sheet, allowing 5cm between them for spreading.  Place a split almond on the top of each one.  Bake for 15 mins or until the macaroons are firm to the touch. 

I did mine in batches, as I couldn't fit them all on the baking sheet at once, and I found the undercooked ones came out slightly better - more chewy.

No comments: