Wednesday 29 August 2012

Breadcrumbs

As I passed the packaged breadcrumbs in the supermarket this morning, I remembered back to the time when I would have bought them when a recipe called for them to be added...until somebody showed me how to make my own.  So just in case any of you are in the same boat, read on and you will never again need to buy them ;)

I always use the crusts from the loaf, mainly because nobody in our house eats them (unless we are really desperate!) but also because you get a good amount of crumbs from them.  Lay the slices out on a baking tray and "cook" them in the oven at 180 for around 20-30 mins.  If you can snap them in half with any trace of softness, they are ready - if not, pop them back in for another 10 mins but watch them closely so they don't burn.


Break the slices up into pieces so they fit into the food processor and give them a blitz.  Voila!  Easy as pie.


Store them in a Tupperware box in the fridge and they will last for weeks at a time.  You can also add Parmesan, herbs or spices to liven them up too.

No comments: