Thursday 31 May 2012

Smoked Haddock & Potato Bake


 
I debated whether to put this on here, as the photo really doesn't do it justice but you're just going to have to take my word for it - it is super tasty!  Hardly slimline I admit but I would even use this for a dinner party, it is nice enough! Thought I would show my mountain of matchstick potatoes alongside the finished product too ;o)

Ingredients
Large piece of smoked haddock
650g potatoes, peeled
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
300ml tub of double cream
100ml milk (I could put semi-skimmed here but what who am I kidding?!)
15g butter

Method
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Put the haddock in a pan, cover with cold water and bring the boil.  Poach for around 5 mins until cooked through.  Drain off the liquid and flake the fish into an oven-proof dish (discarding the skin).

Slice the potatoes into 5mm slices and then cut into matchsticks - this is the only time consuming part.  Place them in a large bowl with the onion and garlic, and mix well.  Place the potato mixture on top of the flaked fish - don't smooth down the potato matchsticks, leave them uneven.

Mix the cream & milk together and pour evenly over the potatoes.  Dot the top with buter and cook in the oven for 45 minutes, turning the mixture every twice (every 15 mins).  If it starts going too brown, cover with foil.

I wasn't sure how this would reheat but I made it yesterday and today put it in the oven on a low setting for around 30 mins and it was fine.

No comments: