Sunday 29 July 2012

Playdough

I've had a desire to make my own play dough for a while but a part of me wondered if it was worth it...after all, shop bought isn't that expensive and I had visions of a sticky, gooey mess that the kids were unable to play with.  I was WRONG!  

This is so easy to make, costs hardly anything and is so much more lovely to handle - the kids played with it for ages longer than they usually do, mainly because it is so tactile I think.  Plus you can make it whatever colour and fragrance you want to. 
 


Here's how...you will need:

2 cups of plain flour
1 cup salt 
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar
1.5 cups hot water (recently boiled)

Optional:
Food colouring
Glitter
Herb / spice 

Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar into a bowl and mix well.  Add the vegetable oil plus any extra ingredients (I added red glitter and ground mixed spice).  Add food colouring into the hot water if using (I used blue) and add the water to the dry mix.  Combine well and hey presto - start playing!




DD couldn't wait to get her hands on it, as you can see above!

Nurture Store, where I got this recipe from, also suggest adding herbs such as lavender or rosemary to make scrummy smelling dough - looking forward to trying that!


1 comment:

I'm a full-time mummy said...

This looks fun! Might want to give this a try one day! Thanks for sharing!