Saturday 19 January 2013

Spicy Slow Cooked Chicken

I saw a recipe post this week for something similar but when I came to make it, I realised I didn't have half the ingredients I needed so I made this up a bit as I went along but boy, was it tasty!  I served it with tagliatelle last night, and made the left-overs into wraps for lunch today.   Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients - you'll already have most of them in your cupboards.


Ingredients
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cumin seeds (crushed)
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp mixed pepper blend*
2 large chicken breasts
Olive oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded & chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded & chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed
1 can tomatoes
1 cup orange juice
Juice 1/2 lime
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Tabasco



Method
Turn your slow cooker on to Low.

Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a bowl, and rub half of it onto the chicken breasts.  Brown them in a hot frying pan, remove and set aside.

Add the onion, garlic and chillies to the frying pan and cook for 5 mins.

Put the chicken in the slow cooker, and add the onion, garlic and chillies on top.

Mix together the tomatoes, orange juice, lime juice, vinegar and Tabasco  and add in the remaining spice mix.  Pour the sauce on top of the chicken in the slow cooker.  

Cook on Low for around 6 hours.  At this point, I still had too much sauce so I removed the lid and cooked on High for a further 1.5 hours by which point it was perfect.

If you're serving this in a wrap, sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of the chicken before rolling it up - yum!



*Thanks to my lovely Danish friend who keeps me in regular supply of Peber Blandig, I use this all the time in my cooking but it is just a blend of 4 types of pepper - black, white, green & red - similar to this or you could use a pinch of spice mix.


1 comment:

Actually Mummy... said...

That looks yummy - going to give that a go later in the week